We're getting there! 6:44am.
(also the amount of energy I have is only going up and up and the amount of sleep I need is decreasing... definitely a daylight person and not a night-owl.)
|Obviously on the 25th we have that one hour of morning daylight we're losing but every single day we're getting closer to mid-summer! If you think I'm optimistic, you should see when the street lights are turned off - 6:26am yesterday, 6:23am today, that's rather optimistic and not all that practical if one actually wants to read at the bus stop. |
I'm still waiting for a bit more of the snow to melt and/or for the temperatures to stop going below freezing in the foresty areas because those little ice fields can be quite treacherous on bike... and I haven't changed the brakes yet. I should really get a move on that. If anyone had told a while back I'd actually be a specialist in changing center caliper brakes, although I suppose that in the end it's not much more complicated than V-brakes, just a tad different.
|You know how sometimes your memory plays tricks on you? How you think some things were better than they actually were. I was just listening to a podcast about the Anatomy of Hangovers from Stuff to Blow Your Mind and at one point they mentioned almost the same thing in the section as to why even though after a terrible hangover we swear we're never doing it again but eventually in our mind we create this awesome image of the party we attended because it must have been awesome because otherwise we wouldn't have had a hangover, etc. Well, actually my very few hangovers are not associated with awesome parties so really the link between my point and the podcast is really just in my head but bear with me...|
So anyway, up to a few minutes ago in my mind I had this image of this one great photo from Hämeenlinna I remember taking. Top stuff. Hight of an art, etc.
I just opened the said photo, posted just below, and honestly it's not at all like what I remember seeing the first time around when I downloaded the photos to my computer. I wish it had stayed forever as this glorious awesomely awesome photo in my head. It had better colours, it had more contrasts, it had more a film-like feeling to it. Technically speaking I could try to turn it into the photo from my dreams by photoshopping it but my laziness and certain disappointment are stopping me for some reason. *shakes fist at the world*
Right. So how's your Friday morning otherwise?
|October, October, that was so last year!|
(PS: Dear Helsinki, in case you haven't noticed, I'm back and this time ready for that real winter... so enough with the slush, bring on the real deal and the -25C! For real, the 2C +/-3 aren't that funny anymore.)
( +9 - switching colours and all that jazz )
|Mornings - that time of that many people prefer to ignore. For me it's the best time of day. No one around, especially on week-ends and in crowded houses.|
Back in the time when it was light already before 9am.
( +5 - morning around that giant cottage thing )
|On a Friday evening, from Helsinki to somewhere a little bit north of Hämeenlinna, to meet up with about fifty crazy peeps for Halloween at one rather huge cottage (apparently it was built to be used in some kind of survival of the fittest game show). Normal Halloween parties are so yesterday! |
( +7 - this and that from that first night )
A day out on the sea. A sea that doesn't seem salty at first but after kayaking for a while, the salt start accumulating on your skin.
After kayaking to one of the islands we hung out at the beach while some of the guys went for a swim.
( 3x2 more - new friends, berries and ice cream )
Have I ever mentioned that my supervisor/boss is awesome? We went kayaking with a couple of co-workers today. At least now that's off my list of things to do in Helsinki. On days like these I also wish I wasn't the only girl in the group, if I can even lift my arms tomorrow I'll be the happiest person on this planet.
I have a bunch more photos and stories to tell but they'll be left for tomorrow and later.
I have one final load of laundry to do and I've decided to get rid of the interwebs at home, the hard way. I'm giving away my modem so there is no temptation!
And then it's clean, clean, clean, pack, pack, pack and also bake something good for the guys to bring to work tomorrow.
It's another "A Day In My Life" post! If you're in the ADIML community, you can check out the previous ones: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12
This is a slightly modified version of the post that will appear in that community, all the content under the cut is the same though.
July 7th, 2010. Starts early. Actually all of my days start early.
( 50 photos total of rain, sunshine and viili )
Sometimes there are simple joys in life... like wearing my Nokian boots around town.
Yep, I don't own a Nokia phone, but I do own Nokian boots and they feel much more Finnish than the phones ever will.
And hey, look, there is a smoking tree.
Yep, I might need to lay off the sugar today but this photo was really shot from the hip and it turned out like that. I say that's pretty awesome. Almost as awesome as wearing Nokian boots.
Actually I'm getting Nokian boots for my sister's birthday. I doubt she'll ever wear them outside her garden but maybe she'll see the beauty of them and wear them everywhere!
And we're Friday, that means fill in the blanks!
1. The best piece of advice I was ever given was that if it will make me happy for a good amount of time, it's worth it. That's how I buy most of my stuff. Based on the amount of happiness it will bring me.
2. If I had a million dollars to give to one charity I would give it to multiple charities but mainly to some local charities in Marseille that deal with handicapped children. I try to run the annual "Course de l'Algenon" mainly because they always make sure that everyone gets to participate, even the handicapped.
3. If I got to choose my "last meal" it would be my mum's beouf bourguignon with freshly made pasta from scratch, for dessert I'd have apple pie.
4. My hair is the straightest thing you've ever seen. I shouldn't complain though, apparently there are people out there who straighten their hair every morning and some have a hard time brushing it. I don't even need to brush my hair because it's so straight, I can't remember the last time I had a knot in it!
5. If at first you don't succeed consider if you really want to accomplish whatever you're trying and if not, switch to something else. There really is no point in wasting time on something that you don't really want to do.
6. I have always been very good at meeting deadlines. You know how in school everyone was trying to get extensions for assignments, well I always handed my stuff in on time. Even today, I always try to finish everything on time when there is a deadline someone else sets. If it's my own deadline, I most likely will not meet it though.
7. Oh....and by the way.... I'm eating some of that white chocolate with blueberries and rice crispies. Yes, it's still as awesome as ever!
In the end, it really does seem like every cloud has a silver lining. Sure, we're still freezing in the morning, it was -10C when I took the bus, but this is probably one of the last days when I can admire the frozen patterns on the bus stop glass.
I have a feeling I'm soon going to want to wake up at 5am just not to miss the early light... it's my favourite time of the day but waking up at 5am also means that one has to bed early. I guess you really can't win on every front.
( just one photo didn't do the patterns justice + the fog over the island )
In other news, I looked into the whole Flickr deal. There is a reason why I keep everything revolving around LJ, it's just so much easier to keep things close at hand... Maybe during my two days off at Easter I can explore the idea a bit more.
Gah. I am so tired. As I've said before, getting drunk stopped being fun at around age 20 or maybe 21... so it's not like I can even blame my state on too much booze during the cruise. It's really just the fact that I did not get enough sleep because there were many fun people to hang out with and going to bed at 2am two days in a row, while getting up at 7:30am, it gets harder as you get older.
In any case, I like these questions:
1. What year did you graduate high school?
2. What part of your body do you neglect the most?
Hum... I'm really low maintenance in general but I suppose I can say my feet.
3. Beach house or Lake house?
4. Mac or PC?
PC because some stuff for work won't run on Mac.
5. Did you wear braces?
Yes, and a hell a lot of good did they do to my teeth. No really, I have a weird mouth. Heck I still have baby teeth... at my age. Basically the moment the braces were off my teeth separated again, retainer or no retainer.
6. If you could be one person for a day..living or deceased..who would you be?
Forensic. I've always wanted to become one, even before all those telly shows glamourised the profession.
7. How many times have you moved in your life?
You count: L'viv -- Arcueil -- Brookline -- Marseille (Perier) - Marseille (9eme) - Toulon (center ville) - Marseille (9eme) - Toulon (western part) - Martignat - Toulon (eastern part) -- Otaniemi - Pitajanmaki - Lauttasaari (-- and upcoming move back to France for a year)
8. Would you rather cook or clean?
Depends on my mood but most of the time I would say "clean".
In recap, this is what the water close to Helsinki looked like this morning and it kind of shows how I'm feeling right now, like my brain is all fogged up.
(the white stuff are chunks of ice on the water)